Domestic violence visa

April 16, 2019 1,121

A person who holds or held a visa as the spouse or partner of:

  • a British citizen
  • a person settled in the UK
  • a person who holds leave as a refugee
  • a person who holds leave as a partner under refugee family reunion

and who experiences domestic violence or abuse from their partner, may be able to apply for indefinite leave as the Victim of Domestic Abuse.

The person’s visa may have expired and they may have become an overstayer, but this does not matter.

The person is in many cases a woman but men can apply too.

Although people often refer to “domestic violence” there is no requirement that there has been physical violence from the partner. Where there has been physical violence – and there is evidence to prove it – then the application can be very strong, but severe psychological persecution can also constitute sufficient grounds.

The application has to be based on the principle that the relationship has broken down permanently because of the domestic abuse.

Applicants should provide whatever evidence they can. If there are photographs or medical evidence of any injuries this can be good evidence. If the police were called evidence of this will be helpful. If the partner has been prosecuted for violence against the applicant this can make a very strong case. And if the applicant has been given protection in a women’s refuge this can be helpful. And if anybody can provide written evidence to support the application this can also assist.

If you are experiencing domestic abuse we at Get UK Visa can help you prepare the best case possible and give you the best chance of success.

Recent News

Jan 05, 2020

مدرسه شبانه روزی تابستانی در انگلستان

هدف ما از این پست اطلاع رسانی و معرفی دوره‌های مدارس تابستانی کشور انگلستان می‌باشد که به مدت شش هفته در مدارس شبانه روزی برای دانش آموزن بین سن هشت تا هفده سال برگزار میشود. هر ساله بسیاری از دانش آموزان از کشور‌های مختلف برای آموزش زبان و گذراندن دوره‌های کوتاه مدت از قبیل ورزش […]

Dec 17, 2019

English language requirements

Most types of visa application have an English language requirement. For a spouse visa application, for example, there is normally a requirement that the applicant has passed an English language test to at least A1 level. For applications for settlement (ie indefinite leave to remain) and British naturalisation the English language requirement is more difficult. […]

Dec 01, 2019

Refugee family members

Some readers may know that a family member of a refugee may, apparently, also be granted leave as a refugee. The biometric residence permit that they are granted may contain the words “refugee leave to remain” or similar. But this is actually wrong. Unless the family member has made a successful asylum claim of their […]

Google Reviews

  • review rating 5  The team they have is very accuracy, and they have lots of experience with any type of visa application, which is can help, I highly recommended to the people they looking for the solicitor for any type of visa in the uk.

    thumb Ashkan mostaghim
  • review rating 5  To best ways to help me

    thumb Amir ghamsari
  • review rating 5  Best solicitors ever. Quick and best services from them. Good luck and best wishes. 🙏🏻

    thumb Mozhgan Enayat
  • review rating 5  Best solicitors ever. Quick and best services from them. Good luck and best wishes. 🙏🏻

    thumb Mozhgan Enayat
  • review rating 5  Well we hired Get Uk visa they are very professional and do work honestly and passionately !! I appreciate their service we got successful business representatives overseas visa as well branch establish . they guide us proper , my suggestion pls hire them right away if need success result thanks stay bless

    thumb mohsin dhahri